* Denotes abstracts directly related to a BAMSG clinical trials
*1. Pappas PG, Andes D, Schuster M, Hadley S, Rabkin J, Merion RM, Kauffman CA, Huckabee C, Cloud GA, Dismukes WE, Karchmer AW. Invasive Fungal Infections in Low Risk Liver Transplant Recipients: A Multicenter Prospective Observational Study. Presented at the IDSA 40th Annual Meeting in Chicago, Illinois, 2002.
*2. Meka VG, Hadley S, Daly J, Venkataraman L, Gold HS, DeGirolami PC, Karchmer AW. MSG#44 NIAID Mycoses Study Group. Molecular Epidemiology of Invasive Candida Infection (IFI) Within 100 Days after Orthotopic Liver Transplantation (OLT). 43rd International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Chicago, IL, September 2003: Abstract M-2062.
*3. Hadley S, Daly J, Pappas P, Kauffman CA, Rabkin J, Yao J, Schuster MG, Karchmer AW. MSG #44 NIAID Mycoses Study Group. A Randomized, Double-Blind Trail Comparing AmBisome (AMB) and Fluconazole (FLU) in High-Rick Liver Transplants for the prevention of Invasive Fungal Infections. 41st Infectious Disease Society of America, October 9-12, 2003, San Diego, CA: Abstract 113
*4. Miller LG, Man D, Lee C, Lee JY, Dismukes WE, Kauffman, CA and the Mycoses Study Group of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Predictors of Candiduria Resolution in Hospitalized Patients: A Prospective Multi-Center Investigation. 43rd Annual International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Chicago, September, 2003: Abstract M-2059 [oral presentation]
*5. Huskins C, Wallace D, Marquis C, Lipstich M, Cooper B, Fridkin S, McGowan JE Samore M, Goldmann DA. Cluster-Randomized Trails (CRT) of Interventions to Reduce Antimicrobial Resistance in Intensive Care Units (ICU). 2003 Annual Conference on Antimicrobial Resistance, June 23-25, 2003, Bethesda Hyatt Regency, Bethesda, Maryland.
*6. Ostrosky-Zeichner L, Sable C, Sobel J, Alexander B, Donowitz G, Kan V, Kauffman CA, Kett D, Larsen R, Morrison V, Nucci M, Pappas P, Bradley ME, Major S, Wallace D, Rex J. Multicenter Retrospective Development and Validation of a Clinical Prediction rule for Invasive Candidiasis (IC) in the Intensive Care Setting. Presented at Focus on Fungus; March 2004, New Orleans, LA. BAMSG Publications December 31, 2008 2
*7. Ostrosky-Zeichner L, Rex JH, Paetznick VL, Rodriguez JR, Chen E, Pappas PG, Dismukes, WE. Lack of correlation of in-vitro checkerboard-based antifungal combination results with clinical outcomes. Presented at Focus on Fungus; March 2004, New Orleans, LA.
*8. Robinson T, Zimmer L, Rosanbalm S, Wallace D. Design Issues of an International Study in the Treatment of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Associated Cptococcal Meningitis.Poster Presentation for the Society of Clinical Trials; May, 2004, New Orleans, LA.
* 9. Huckabee CM, Hoffman M, Ediger L, Huskins WC. A Web-Based System for Microbiology Culture Tracking, Processing and Reporting. Poster Presentation for the Society of Clinical Trials; May, 2004, New Orleans, LA.
*10. Miller L, Zhang H, Cronin J, Lee J, Dismukes WE, Kaufmann CA. Factors Associated with Funguria Treatment in Hospitalized Patients: Insights Into Physicians’ Antibiotic Prescribing Behavior When Evidence of Infection May Be Lacking. 42nd Annual Meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), September 30 – October 3, Boston, MA 2004: Poster Presentation
11. Park BJ, Kontoyiannis DP, Pappas PG, Wannemuehler KA, Anaissie E, Fridkin SK, Walsh TJ, TRANSNET Investigators. Comparison of Zygomycosis and fusariosis to invasive aspergillosis among transplant recipients reporting to TRANSNET. 44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-666
12. Roden MM, Buchanan W, Knudsen T, Sarkisova T, Schaufele R, Sein M, Sein T, Kontoyiannis D, Walsh T. Epidemiology and outcome of zygomycosis: a review of 631 cases.44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-667
13. Benjamin, DK, Stoll BJ, Fanaroff AA, McDonald S, Oh W, Higgins R, Chapman I, Duara S, Poole K, Laptook A, Hansen N, Goldberg R. Neonatal candidiasis among infants <1000g birth weight: risk factors, mortality, and neuro-developmental outcomes at 18-22 months.44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-671
14. Andes DR, Safdar N, Hadley S, Alexander B, Schuster M, Somani J, Brumble L, Kauffman CA, Morrison V, Pappas P. Epidemiology of invasive candida infections in solid and hematology transplantation: prospective surveillance results from the TRANSNET database.44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-1014
15. Morrison VA, Pappas PG, Hadley S, Schuster M, Kauffman CA, Andes D, TRANSNET. The spectrum of non-albicans candidal infections in hematopoietic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipients: a prospective evaluation. 44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30- November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-1029
16. Morgan J, Alexander B, Wannemuehler K, Fan K, Daram P, Marr K, Kontoyiannis D, Kauffman DA, Ito J, Hadley S, Fridkin SK, Pappas PG, Walsh T, TRANSNET Investigators. Quantification of risk for invasive fungal infections among transplant recipients reporting to TRANSNET.44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-1058
17. Ostrosky-Zeichner L, Rex JH, Paetznick VL, Rodriguez JR, Chen E, Pappas PG, Dismukes WE. Lack of correlation of in vitro checkerboard-based antifungal combination results with clinical outcomes. 44th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. October 30-November 2, 2004, Washington, DC. M-1679
*18. Huskins WC, O’Grady N, Zaoutis T, Toltzis P, Murray P, Wallace D, Dismukes WE, Samore M, Goldmann DA. A Clinical Trials Network for Multicenter Studies of Interventions to Reduce Healthcare-Associated Infections Caused by Antimicrobial Resistant Bacteria. 2nd Anti-Infectives partnering and Deal making Summit, March 7- 8, 2005: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
19. Larsen RA, Pappas PG, Perfect J, Aberg JA, Casadevall A, Cloud GA, James R, Filler S, Dismukes WE. Phase I evaluation of the safety and pharmacokinetics of murine-derived anticryptococcal antibody 18B7 in subjects with treated cryptococcal meningitis. International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2005; 49:001-007.
*20. Goldman M, Cloud GA, Wade KD, Reboli A, Fichtenbaum CJ, Hafner R, Sobel JD, Powderly WG, Patterson TF, Wheat LJ, Stein DK, Dismukes, WE, Filler SG. A randomized study of the use of fluconazole as continuous versus episodic therapy in patients with advanced HIV infection and history of oropharyngeal candidiasis. AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study 323/ Mycoses Study Group Study 40. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2005; 41:1473-80.
21. Pappas PG, Alexander BD. Impact of novel immunosuppression regimens on infection in transplant recipients. Symposium lecture;IDSA Oct. 6-9, 2005 San Francisco, CA.
22. Mukesh P, Kauffman CA, Larsen R, Perfect J, Hamill R, Judson M, McKinsey D, Haas D, Lancaster D, Pappas PG. Cryptococcosis among patients with liver dysfunction. Poster presentation. IDSA Oct. 6-9, 2005 San Francisco, CA.
23. Hadley S, Pappas PG, Lyon M, Alexander B, Kauffman CA, Andes D, Freifeld A, Fan KE, Morgan J. Cryptococcus neoformans infections among solid organ transplant recipients reporting to TRANSNET. IDSA Oct. 6-9, 2005 San Francisco, CA.
* 24. Huskins WC, Wildasin H, Huckabee C, Ko W, Noga R, Zimmer L, Bradley ME, Jernigan J, O’Grady N, Samore M, Wallace D, Goldmann D. Adherence with standard precautions in adult intensive care units. SHAE March 18-21, 2006 Chicago, IL. Presentation Number 72.
* 25. Pappas PG, Andes D, Schuster M, Hadley S, Rabkin J, Merion RM, Kauffman CA, Huckabee C, Cloud GA, Dismukes WE, Karchmer AW. Invasive fungal infections in low risk liver transplant recipients: A multicenter prospective observational study. American Journal of Transplantation 2006; 6: 386-391.
*26. Ostrosky-Zeichner, L., Sable, C., Sobel, J., Alexander, B.D., Donowitz, G., Kan, V., Kauffman, C.A., Kett, D., Larsen, R.A., Morrison, V., Nucci, M., Pappas, P., Bradley, M.E., Major, S., Zimmer, L., Wallace., Dismukes, W.E., Rex, J.H. NIAID Bacteriology and Mycology Study Group; Merck & Co., and Rho Federal Systems Divisions, Inc.. Multicenter retrospective development and validation of a clinical prediction rule for nosocomial invasive candidiasis in the intensive care setting. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. DOI 10.1007/s10096-007-0270z.
*27. Ostrosky-Zeichner L., Sobel J, Pappas P, Shoham S, Barron M, Reboli A, Kauffman C, Donowitz G, Clark N, Walsh T, Akins R, Mandviwala T, Shinde R. Bradley ME, Nolen T, Kendrick, A, Wallace D. Pilot study of risk-based caspofungin prophylaxis in the ICU: Lessons from a multicenter, randomized, double-blind trial and insights into diagnostic performance of surrogate markers. International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 17-20, 2007. Chicago, IL M-1158.
*28.Pappas P, Nolen T, Chetchotisakd P, Larsen R. Manosuthi W, Filler S, and the BAMSG 3-01 study team. Fluconazole plus amphotericin B versus amphotericin B alone for primary treatment of AIDS associated cryptococcal meningitis: Results of a Phase II trial. International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2007; September 17- 20, 2007. Chicago, IL
*29. Huskins C. Active Surveillance testing: Solution or Tool. MRSA: The call to action…1 year later. November 5-6, 2007. Atlanta Ga.
*30. T. Nolen, D. Wallace, L. Zimmer, P. Pappas, “A Bayesian Approach to a Phase III Study in the Treatment of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Associated Cryptococcal Meningitis”, poster presentation at SCT Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 2007
*31. Sinkowitz-Cochran RL. An evaluation of organizational culture and perceptions of hand hygiene following a multicenter randomized trial to reduce the transmission of antimicrobial –resistant bacteria. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA). April 5-8, 2008. Orlando, FL
*32. Sinkowitz-Cochran RL, Goding AM, Brinsley-Rainisch KJ, Huskins WC, Jernigan JA. The impact of a hand hygiene online course as part of a multi-center randomized trial to reduce the transmission of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria. Association for professionals in infection control and epidemiology. June 15-19, 2008 Denver, CO 08-A-364-APIC.
*33. Patel JB, Huskins WC, Zhu W, Jernigan JA, Clark NC, Anderson KF, McDougal LD, Chenoweth C, Alangaden GJ, Murray PR: Dissemination of an Enterococcus Inc 18-Like vanA Plasmid, associated with vancomycin-resistant staphylococcus aureus.Poster presentation at IDSA/ICAAC, October 25-28, 2008, Washington D.C.
*34. Stoneman EK, Patel JB, Alangaden GJ, Huskins WC, and Chenoweth CE: Clinical Characteristics of Patients with Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) Isolates Containing the Inc-18 Plasmid. IDSA/ICAAC, October 25-28, 2008, Washington D.C.
*35. W. Manosuthi, S. Sungkanuparph, T. Anekthananon, K. Supparatpinyo, T. Nolen, L. Zimmer, P. Pappas, R. Larsen, S. Filler, P Chetchotisakd and BAMSG 3-01 Study Team “Effect of High-Dose Fluconazole on QT Interval in HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis Infected Patients”, poster presentation at the 48th Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC)/ 46th Infectious Disease Society of America Meeting, Chicago, IL; Sep 2008
*36. T. Nolen, B. Eggleston, D. Wallace, P. Pappas, “Combining Mortality, Mycological and Neurological Measures for a Study in the Treatment of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Associated Cryptococcal Meningitis”, poster presentation at Society for Clinical Trials (SCT) Annual Meeting, St. Louis, Missouri, May 2008
*37. Toltzis, P, Elward, A, Davis, D, Helfaer, M, Smathers, S, Zaoutis, T: The incidence of bacterial pulmonary infection in mechanically ventilated children.Abstract presented at Canadian Critical Care Conference, February 2009.
*38. W. Manosuthi, S. Sungkanuparph, T. Anekthananon, K. Supparatpinyo, T. Nolen, D. Wallace, P. Pappas, S. Filler, P Chetchotisakd, D. Andes and BAMSG 3-01 Study Team “Serum and Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Concentration Monitoring for High Dose Fluconazole (FLU) in HIV-Associated Cryptococcal Meningitis (CM) Infected Patients.”,abstract submitted to the 16th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Montreal, Canada; Feb 2009
*39. Pappas PG, Chetchotisakd P, Larsen RA, Manosuthi W, Morris MI, Anekthananon T, Sungkanuparph S, Supparatpinyo K, Nolen TL, Zimmer LO, Kendrick AS, Johnson P, Sobel JD, Filler SG., “A phase II randomized trial of amphotericin B alone or combined with fluconazole in the treatment of HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis”,Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Jun 15;48(12):1775-83.
*40. Sungkanuparph S, Filler SG, Chetchotisakd P, Pappas PG, Nolen TL, Manosuthi W, Anekthananon T, Morris MI, Supparatpinyo K, Kopetskie H, Kendrick AS, Johnson PC, Sobel JD, Larsen RA, “Cryptococcal immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome after antiretroviral therapy in AIDS patients with cryptococcal meningitis: a prospective multicenter study.”,Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Sep 15;49(6):931-4.
*41. Manosuthi W, Sungkanuparph S, Anekthananon T, Supparatpinyo K, Nolen TL, Zimmer LO, Pappas PG, Larsen RA, Filler SG, Chetchotisakd P; BAMSG 3-01 Study Team, “Effect of high-dose fluconazole on QT interval in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-associated cryptococcal meningitis.”, Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009 Nov; 34(5):494-6.
*42. Nolen TL; Dimmick BF; Ostrosky-Zeichner L; Kendrick AS; Sable C; Ngai A; Wallace D; A web-based endpoint adjudication system for interim analyses in clinical trials. Clinical Trials, 2009 Feb; 6 (1): 60-6 (journal article) PMID: 19254936
*43. Zimmer LO, Nolen TL, Pramanpol S, Wallace D, Walker ME, Pappas P, Chetchotisakd P. “International collaboration between US and Thailand on a clinical trial of treatment for HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis”, Contemp Clin Trials. 2010; 31(1) 34-43
*44. Hadley S, Huckabee C, Pappas P, Daly J, Rabkin J, Kauffman C, Merion B, Karchmer, AW. Outcomes of antifungal prophylaxis in high-risk liver transplant recipients.Transplant Infectious Diseases 2009: 11:40-48.
*45. Huckabee CM, Huskins WC, Murray PR. Predicting clearance of colonization with vancomycin-resistant Enterococci and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by use of weekly surveillance cultures. J Clinical Microbiol 2009;47:1229-30
*46. Ben De Pauwa, Thomas J. Walsha, J. Peter Donnellya, David A. Stevens, John E. Edwards,Thierry Calandra, Peter G. Pappas, Johan Maertens, Olivier Lortholary, Carol A. Kauffman,David W. Denning, Thomas F. Patterson, Georg Maschmeyer, Jacques Bille, William E.Dismukes, Raoul Herbrecht, William W. Hope, Christopher C. Kibbler, Bart Jan Kullberg,Kieren A. Marr, Patricia Muñoz, Frank C. Odds, John R. Perfect, Angela Restrepo, Markus Ruhnke, Brahm H. Segal, Jack D. Sobel, Tania C. Sorrell, Claudio Viscoli, John R. Wingard, Theoklis Zaoutis, and John E. Bennett. Fungal Infections Cooperative Group and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Mycoses Study Group (EORTC/MSG) Consensus Group. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 June 15; 46(12): 1813–1821. doi:10.1086/588660.
*47. Peter G. Pappas,Carol A. Kauffman, David Andes, Daniel K. Benjamin, Jr., Thierry F. Calandra,John E. Edwards, Jr.,Scott G. Filler, John F. Fisher, Bart-Jan Kullberg, Luis Ostrosky-Zeichner,Annette C. Reboli, John H. Rex, Thomas J. Walsh, and Jack D. Sobel. Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Candidiasis: 2009 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. CID 2009:48, 503-535
*48. Manosuthi W, Chetchotisakd P, Nolen T, Wallace D, Sungkanuparph S, Anekthananon T, Supparatpinyo K, Pappas P, Larsen R, Filler S, Andes D; on behalf of the BAMSG 3-01 Study Team. “Monitoring and impact of fluconazole serum and cerebrospinal fluid concentration in HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis-infected patients”, HIV Med, (2010), 11, 276-281.
*49. Zhu W, Murray PR, Huskins WC, Jernigan JA, McDonald LC, Clark NC, Anderson KF, McDougal LK, Hageman JC, Olsen-Rasmussen M, Frace M, Alangaden GJ, Chenoweth C, Zervos MJ, Robinson-Dunn B, Schreckenberger PC, Reller LB, Rudrik JT, Patel JB. Dissemination of an Enterococcus Inc18-Like vanA Plasmid, Associated with Vancomycin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:4314-20
*50. T Anekthananon, W Manosuthi, P Chetchotisakd, S Sungkanuparph, K Supparatpinyo, W Ratanasuwan, P G Pappas, S G Filler, H Kopetskie, T L Nolen, A S Kendrick, R A Larsen, for the BAMSG 3-01 Study Team, “Predictors of Poor Clinical Outcome of Cryptococcal Meningitis in HIV-Infected Patients”, Int J STD AIDS. 2011 Nov;22(11):665-70.
*51. Nair N, Kourbatova E, Poole K, Huckabee CM, Murray P, Huskins WC, Blumberg HM. Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among patients admitted to adult intensive care units: The STAR*ICU Trial. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:1057-1063
*52. Huskins WC, Huckabee CM, O’Grady NP, Murray P, Kopetskie H, Zimmer L, Walker ME, Sinkowitz-Cochran RL, Jernigan JA, Samore M, Wallace D, Goldmann DA, STAR*ICU Trial Investigators. Intervention to reduce transmission of resistant bacteria in intensive care. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1407-18
*53. Toltzis P, Elward A, Davis D, Helfaer M, Smathers S, Zaoutis T. Oportunities for antibiotic reduction in mechanically ventilated children. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011; 12(3):282-285